The TechUp programme takes 100 women from the Midlands and North of England, particularly from underrepresented communities, with degrees or experience in any subject area, retrains them in technology and then gives them the opportunity to interview with a company for an internship/apprenticeship/job.
The retraining programme, developed by the Partner Universities in conjunction with the Industrial Partners, will have modules at level 6/7 and includes:
- Technology: coding, data science, cyber security, machine learning, agile project management.
- Workplace readiness skills: public speaking, clear communication, working as a team.
For Participants, there are four key aspects to the programme:
- 4 residential weekends hosted by the 4 Partner Universities with training and bringing together Participants, with the academic and industrial organisations.
- Continuous access online training to complement and enhance the residentials.
- At the end of the programme successful participants receive a certificate and an interview with a Partner company.
- To assist with the sustainability of the programme in future years, successful Participants will be encouraged to become ambassadors for the IoC-TechUp programme.
TechUP also includes corporate and industry partners who have helped to develop course content and will also provide mentoring to women on the course.
For more information check out their website.
Really happy to be a mentor in the inaugural TechUP programme. TechUP retrained 100 women, many from underrepresented communities into tech careers. The first 100 @TechUpWomen graduated yesterday- what an empowering night! @Dr_Black @CristeaProf @IoCoding #techwuman #TechUpWomen pic.twitter.com/jsvqv4pfOn
— Techwuman (@Techwuman) January 19, 2020
"The word ‘female,’ when inserted in front of something, is always with a note of surprise. Female COO, female pilot, female surgeon — as if the gender implies surprise … One day there won’t be female leaders. There will just be leaders."
-- Sheryl Sandberg
The WISE choice in Engineering #techwuman #womeninstem #womeninengineering #womenintechnology
Get in touch
Have a problem? We can help find a solution!
Please fill out the quick form and we will be in touch to talk about your project.